The importance of primary care or general consultation has not been fully understood until today, even in well-developed countries. It is taken lightly and the significance of general consultation is underestimated. Patients tend to seek medical attention when it’s too late during terminal illnesses. Hence, it is important to continuously remind the public to obtain general consultation on a routine basis in order to identify any illnesses or control the symptoms of existing illnesses.
The importance of general consultation in this up swinging lifestyle is further discussed below:
- To identify chronic/serious illness early: A routine general consultation and medical examination are necessary. This is important in order to identify a chronic illness as early as possible and provide the appropriate treatment. A chronic illness often does not manifest at early stages. Hence, a routine consultation should be considered in order to recognize the signs and symptoms that are experienced by an individual. The early detection of chronic diseases also means that we stand high chances of reducing the healthcare costs in a span of time by eliminating the need for high medical services. Although medical insurance policies are seen as the wildcard opportunity to enjoy medical benefits, a holistic view puts the cost as one of the deciding factors in the context of medical services.
- To educate the public about the importance of health: Many of us are reluctant about our health. For example, a fever could be taken lightly and an appropriate measure may not be taken to cure the symptom. When the fever prolongs and followed by other serious symptoms, the illness may have progressed to a more chronic stage which requires a more sophisticated treatment. This could have been prevented if the individual was more vigilant about his or her health. It is said that prevention is better than cure. Every individual should understand the importance of their own health to lead a good well-being.
- Click here to raise awareness about seeking medical attention in early stages of a disease before it’s too late: People often seek medical attention only when it’s beyond the threshold extent. It is important to note and understand the signs and symptoms of an illness that have been experienced. Do not wait until the control of the symptoms get out of hand where any treatment would not produce a good outcome. Some terminal illness does not have any medical treatments, rather a good social support is the only remedy to enhance the quality of life and extend the lifespan a little longer. Therefore, it is always advisable to obtain medical attention when one experiences symptoms as simple as a headache or fever.
- To be able to reach out to people who have illnesses and have no families: Some people who do not have families and suffer from an illness may not obtain a good support to lead their lives. A general consultation would be able to identify those individuals and provide a platform whereby the doctors would offer the necessary guidelines to lead a healthy lifestyle. Consequences that those individuals may face such as suicide and depression could be prevented as well.
- To identify patients with mental illnesses for early treatment and prevention of consequences: A general consultation would be helpful in identifying patients with mental illnesses. This is done by taking a thorough medical history as well as examination which would provide the doctors with an insight into their patients’ illnesses. Some patients may not recognize the signs and symptoms of a mental illness. Hence, with a routine general consultation, the doctors will be able to aid the identify patients who manifest the presentations of a mental illness and provide them with a good treatment as well as social support.
- Owing to the busy lifestyle is that keenly adapted by the millennials, it is found that their lifestyle is no way near the idle style. Improper diet, lack of sleep and minimal exercise have been part of their routine and this may bear some unwanted consequences. A general consultation, would keep them on the check and also will contribute to aligning their habits and practices in order to lead a healthy lifestyle. A consultation may help to put the crucial matters into proper perspective and grant early prevention steps.
As a whole, it is utterly important to have a routine general consultation for a better overall well-being and lead a healthy lifestyle.